The spicy saltiness of pepperoni. The ooey-gooey meltiness of mozzarella cheese. The tender chewiness of pizza dough. All wrapped together—literally—into a savory Italian swirl. That’s the beauty of these gluten-free pepperoni pinwheels.
They’re great fresh out of the oven. But they’re also equally good baked in a large batch, stored refrigerated in an airtight container, and reheated later as an easy snack or lunch.
To make the dough:
- 250 g warm water (110º F)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil (plus extra)
- 125 g white rice flour
- 70 g quinoa flour
- 60 g tapioca starch
- 50 g potato starch
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp salt
To make the pinwheels:
- 4 oz sandwich pepperoni (thinly sliced)
- 4 oz shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Whisk and set aside to allow the yeast to activate, about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a separate medium bowl, add the white rice flour, quinoa flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, psyllium husk, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- When the yeast mixture is foamy on top, add the olive oil and stir to combine. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and stir vigorously with a spoon just until smooth.
- Place a 15×15-inch piece of parchment on a flat surface. Lightly oil the parchment paper with olive oil.
- Scrape the dough with a spatula onto the center of the prepared parchment. Coat your hands with olive oil and press the dough into 14×10-inch rectangle with uniform thickness.
- Place the pepperoni in a single layer over the dough. Leave a 2-inch border of naked dough along the 14-inch-long edge farthest away from you.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the pepperoni.
- Starting at the 14-inch-long edge closest to you, roll the dough into a tight roll. Use the parchment paper as a tool to lift and roll the dough, only peeling away the parchment as you go, so that you’re left with a tight roll whose outside is covered in parchment.
- Open the parchment to expose the roll, and gently cut the roll into 12 slices.
- Place the rolls on a fresh parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to rise in a warm location for 60 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 450º F. (If desired, add a small amount of additional shredded mozzarella cheese to top of each roll.)
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.