Thanksgiving is just a day away, and here at the Bronski household, we’re gearing up to host the holiday for some of our “Colorado family” (friends and neighbors who live here but whose family is elsewhere…). Our bird is bought, the brine is ready, and we’re very much looking forward to having a full spread on the table come dinner time tomorrow afternoon. In the spirit of the holiday, we wanted to share our recipe for cornbread stuffing (it comes straight from our cookbook, Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking). And so without further ado, here it is:
1 pound GF pork sausage, caseless, or with casings removed
8 tbsp (1 stick) salted butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 9×9 pan of GF cornbread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups GF chicken broth
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in the same skillet. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Return the sausage to the skillet, and add the sage, salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
4. Combine the sausage mixture and cornbread in the prepared baking dish and toss to mix. Pour the broth over the stuffing.
5. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the stuffing is heated through completely and the top is crispy.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!