In classic Mediterranean style, this recipe packs a flavorful punch from a few fresh, quality ingredients. We were first introduced to it during our twice-yearly trips to New York to visit family. A certain aunt on Long Island would often have it waiting as a snacking appetizer when we walked in the door from our travels from Colorado. It has since appeared regularly on our kitchen table here at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, too.
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 medium red onion
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Trim off the green tops and the root base of the fennel bulb. Slice the white bulb in half from north to south. Then cut away a wedge of the hard core. Thinly slice the remaining fennel bulb. (Reserve some of the tender, green fennel fronds for garnish.)
- Halve the red onion, then thinly slice. Add to the fennel.
- Drizzle the fennel and red onion with the extra virgin olive oil. Season with a generous pinch each of coarse kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Then toss to evenly coat.
- Garnish with a few fennel fronds.