If there’s one thing we’ve learned over time, it’s that gluten-free desserts can be just a delicious as their gluten-filled counterparts. And this strawberry shortcake recipe is the perfect example. Ours is based off the Better Homes & Gardens version, which we’ve modified to make GF.
2 cups GF flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup milk
- In a bowl, stir together sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the egg and milk, and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Stir just enough to fully moisten dough.
- Spread batter into a greased eight-inch round baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 18 minutes. (Check to make sure it’s done by inserting a wooden toothpick. It should come out clean.)
To top off the dessert, slice strawberries and mix them in a bowl with a liberal sprinkling of sugar. Let them set for a bit before putting them over the top of a slice of shortcake. For an added bonus, make some fresh whipped cream for the ultimate dessert! Enjoy!